Just a bit of fun in today’s blog post, and one for all my single fitties!
It occurred to me last night, as I stirred my blended broccoli and tuna “soup” (don’t knock it til you try it – delicious – I can’t get enough!) that bodybuilding contest prep/dieting/whatever you want to call it is perhaps simpler (if not necessarily easier) as a singleton.
So, big up my fellow singletons (and do let me know what you’d add to this list).
10 reasons why bodybuilding prep is better when you’re single
1) You can make meals which look like babyfood (or the result of babyfood) without anyone asking what it is, why you’re eating it, or commenting that it looks disgusting. You can see that it looks disgusting. You just couldn’t care less.
2) You can stink your house out doing something like…oh, I dunno…. roasting 2kgs of brussels sprouts at a time (I hear some people do that kind of thing) and nobody cares. The dog seems to positively enjoy the oleracea odour.
3) You can get up and do cardio at 6:30am on a slightly squeaky piece of home cardio equipment, whilst watching a chick flick on Netflix. It’s fine, you’re not disturbing anyone.
4) You can wear gym kit all the lifelong day! Even “lightly worn” stuff…. ;)
5) Tired? Done a high volume squat session today? Fancy going to bed at 8:30pm? Then off you go. Snores will not disturb your slumber.
6) Want to look muscly? A bit weird? Veiny? Then you go for it. (Sure, you might be alone forever but hey… remember the 2kgs of brussels sprouts!)
7) Your cupboards will not be full of biscuits or breakfast cereal (or anything that’s not in your contest diet plan) unless you put them there.
8) We’re all a little (or a lot) selfish when prepping for a bodybuilding show. Most of us are self-aware enough to know it, but when you’re single, it’s far less of a problem (and carries far less potential for guilty feelings!)
9) Your cheat/treat meals can be completely designed and dictated by you to suit your wildest dreams (and your macros.
10) Too tired to wash your hair? Again? Well… it is a bit grim but never mind. It can go another day I’m sure.
Bonus 11) And this last one is a bonus extra from a male bodybuilder friend of mine (one for my male readers, if I have any…) Single and not getting any? Perfect! Dieting male bodybuilders tend to suffer from a drop in testosterone levels, and a coinciding lack of interest in sex. No partner, no pressure. Although… surely it’s all extra cardio, right?
Hope you took this in the spirit in which it was meant :) Do you have any to add to my list? Or perhaps you’d like to suggest items for a counter-argument: why is it better to *not* be single whilst prepping?
Nicola Joyce – the Fit Writer – is a freelance copywriter and journalist who writes for the sport and fitness industry. Her main website is here.