As some of you know, I’ve had a “challenging” few months. The type of stuff which makes friends and family want to send you little pressies in the post to brighten your day. Which is lovely! But, of course, what tops the list of “things to send to a woman when she’s feeling blue”? Ch-ch-ch-chocolate.
No can do, friends and fam! Much as I’d love to munch on some chocolate right now, I’ve got bodybuilding shows to diet for. So, what is a person to do when they want to send a bodybuilder a cheery gift but they can’t send sweets, chocolate or
gin wine? Don’t give up, there’s plenty you can send, as this pictorial journey through the past few weeks goes to show.
1) Flowers. Perhaps best for the female bodybuilder but hey, let’s not generalise, I’m sure blokes dig blooms, too. Flowers are lovely at the best of times, but they’re positively wonderful at the worst of times. Thanks to my friend Kate (a master florist, doncha know), my Dad & his wife Liz, and my Mum for the flowers you see below
2) Smellies! When all else fails, have a bath and go to bed. This advice is made all the easier when your
Sister nephew sends you a cheery, lovely box of smellies in the post. This one is from Lush although other purveyors of paraben-free cosmetics are available.
3) Jewels! This is a bit of personal one, and you’ll definitely have to know your bodybuilder well before getting this right, but if you have the earring-choosing abilities of my BFF then you’ll be on to a winner. Small, light and easy to post but sure to raise a huge smile.
4) Pampering! Again, perhaps one best suited to the FBB in your life but, actually, I suspect most if not all male BBs also like a bit of pampering. We are all obsessed with how we look, after all! And we do all have to prep our skin for tanning. Anyway, pampering products or a pampering voucher for a local salon or spa would be a great gift for a sad little bodybuilder. As my Dad found out when he thoughtfully bought me a little voucher for a place down the road. (Not pictured. It’s just a piece of paper. I’m sure you can imagine what it looks like)
5) Coffee dates (also not pictured). Take your BB friend out for coffee. (Just don’t eat a cake in front of them.)
6) A stevia plant! This was given to me by my friend Zoe (along with some tomato plants, which are also a great gift for bodybuilders, if they like tomatoes I suppose). Stevia is a herb and is used to sweeten lots of bodybuilder-friendly foods. So, giving a Stevia plant is not only useful but also really thoughtful and shows you’ve been listening to the bodybuilder in question!
Other ideas: playlists or other bits of (cheerful!) music, fun bits of gym wear (little stuff like headbands or socks), a book or a magazine.
Hopefully this will help you next time a bodybuilder in your life needs cheering up. You’re welcome!
Nicola Joyce – the Fit Writer – is a freelance copywriter and journalist who writes for the sport and fitness industry. Her main website is here.